Monday, July 09, 2007

A Postmodern Apologetic

I had a great chat with one of my pastors today. I told him my conclusions after doing the research for my paper. Basically, I see the need for a postmodern apologetic, but I also think that at some point there needs to be a presentation of truth. I don't think he disagrees. We'll see what my professor thinks.

As I left his office and drove home I started wondering what that would look like. If we see the Emerging Church as being a place for postmoderns, but not necessarily staffed by postmoderns, then perhaps it isn't such a bad thing. I wonder if we're missing the point through all of the noise. No one doubts that Greg Laurie crusades are fine things for modern thinkers. However, I think we need to recognize that something different must be done for postmoderns. Is it possible to minister to postmoderns without becoming postmodern ourself? I think Hope tries to do that.

It's an interesting question to roll around in my head for a while. I really think I could do a thesis on this as I'm that interested in it.

No comments: