Thursday, July 12, 2007

Fighting Materialism

Amanda and I are pretty good with our money. In fact, we often take a form of pride in how frugal we are. We sometimes sort of look down our noses at all the SUVs in the church parking lot and chuckle about how our cars are paid for. When our pastor preaches on materialism I think about how I don't struggle with that.

But as I look a little deeper I still see the signs of materialism in my life. I enjoy buying video games that I think will make me happy. I have all kinds of resources that I thought would make me a better guitar player, but I don't put the time into them. I just ordered my textbooks for school and was maybe a little too anxious to get more books in the house.

No, I am not immune to materialism. Nor, obviously, to pride.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Jason,
When I read your posts I think to myself, "this guy is ringing my doorbell!" I find myself chuckling over SUVs in the church parking lot, too. My materialism tends to be in collecting free, legal, downloadable sermons, music, etc. And books. Lots of books.

Lord, search me and know my ways. Show me where repentance is necessary.

Thank you for sharing your humble observations about yourself. Humility begets humility.

Jason said...

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! It's good to know that something I wrote has affected someone.