Thursday, July 05, 2007

Independence

I've noticed a few posts around the God blog about Independence Day. First of all, I think that it is something we should think about as Christians. There are people in some countries who have no access to the bible in their native tongues. There are others who can be killed for owning a bible. We need to remember just how precious our freedom is. Why waste it on trivial pursuits?

I find that I am often torn about the state of the country. There are some who think that it is almost sacrilegious to be anything but jingoistic. However, it is clear that there are some major warts, even with our current Christian President. I do believe that he is indeed a sincere follower of Christ and he would probably like to be even more bold about it. It's a shame that he is in such a mess now, but it's partly his bed that he made.

I also think of what "independence" means. As a Americans I think we tend to chafe at the idea of being a "bondservant of Christ" as Paul called himself. However, that is what we are. I could stand to have a lot more dependence on Him than I do.

No comments: