Saturday, October 25, 2008

Faster Than I Think

I ran my first 5k today. When I do my jogs around the neighborhood my usual mile split is around 8:15/mile. We have some pretty healthy hills here that slow me down a little bit. When I have a fairly flat run I can get in just under 8:00/mile.

I shocked myself by finishing in 24:01, which comes to 7:45/mile. I felt horrible when I finished, but I think that's good. I didn't want to finish with anything left in the tank. What kills me is that someone finished just ahead of me so I ended up 4th in the over 30 category for men.

The good news is that I ended up 10th overall and I did finish ahead of all the ladies who ran. Now that I have this race under my belt I have a better idea of how to run it next time. I don't think I will necessarily finish a whole lot faster, but I do think I can get in a hair under 24:00 next time. I just have to be smarter in a couple of spots. It would also help to have a better diet the week before.

No comments: