Thursday, October 30, 2008

Preach Faithfully

Jeremiah 23:13-15 ESV
(13) In the prophets of Samaria I saw an unsavory thing: they prophesied by Baal and led my people Israel astray.
(14) But in the prophets of Jerusalem I have seen a horrible thing: they commit adultery and walk in lies; they strengthen the hands of evildoers, so that no one turns from his evil; all of them have become like Sodom to me, and its inhabitants like Gomorrah."
(15) Therefore thus says the LORD of hosts concerning the prophets: "Behold, I will feed them with bitter food and give them poisoned water to drink, for from the prophets of Jerusalem ungodliness has gone out into all the land."


God seems to take the faithfulness of His priests very seriously, doesn't he? The way this is structured seems to imply that what the prophets in Jerusalem did was even worse than those in Samaria. Their conduct was such that no one turned from evil.

I've been camped out on the pastoral epistles for my Greek reading because that is what we will be doing in my Greek elective class. It's pretty clear in those that Paul sets the bar very high for elders in the church. It is our job to live in a way that points people to truth. I certainly don't want to be compared to Soddom and Gomorrah!

No comments: