Thursday, March 02, 2006

How Much Does It Matter?

I just read yet another great blog entry from the Internet Monk. I probably would call myself a "Young Earth" believer. However, I have a friend who sees the 7 days of Genesis as being like ages and would therefore jive with carbon dating, etc.

The point is, does it matter? Is my good friend any less a Christian? I don't think so. These things are interesting to discuss over some gourmet stimulant or deppressant, but I don't think they are essential truths.

Oh, how I long for a time when, as a church, we would all just want to see Christ glorified and not worry so much about whether or not we're right all the time! I spend far too much of my time worrying about being right, looking good, or just not looking stupid. Of course, I need to do what's right, but why fight battles over things that I know to be true? Why do I care if someone doesn't believe something that I know to be true? It doesn't make it any less true.

One of my pastors has a great way to put all this. Yes, we're found. But suppose we're driving around and get lost. We ask someone to show us how to get where we need to go and they graciously offer to drive to the place and let you follow. You're not any less lost, but you have someone to follow. I need to remember that's how I am in Christ.

No comments: