Monday, March 27, 2006

Who is Wiser?

A couple of months ago we potty trained Lily. We've had our ups and downs, but it has gone pretty well. I think this is one of those many parenting experiences where it seems brutal at the time, but looking back you manage to forget just how grueling it was. She still has the occasional accident though.

We try to be understanding about all of this. But what we have a tough time with is when we know that she has to go, we offer to help her go, she refuses, and then has an accident later. Like most little kids, she will often push this until the last minute. Then it becomes a crisis with Amanda and I running around frantically trying to get her potty seat out of the bag or maybe me running her upstairs so she can use her "permanent" potty seat. I usually end up making some comment about how she can't wait until the last minute.

At work I tend to drink a lot of water. It gives me something to do and it keeps me awake. Plus on days when I exercise I really need to re-hydrate in the morning. Of course, this means many trips to the bathroom, which is also good for breaking up the day.

Twice now I've tried to use the closest bathroom only to discover it being closed for cleaning. I then had to walk down the hall to another one. It only takes maybe 60-90 seconds to make it to that bathroom, but both times I had to do this I realized that I waited too long. In other words, despite being 30 years older than her I'm not sure that I'm that much wiser. Kind of a sobering thought.

No comments: