Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Keep Advancing

There is a common idea out there that those who once were bound by some enslaving activity must identify with it forever. Just about anyone who has ever watched an American sitcom has seen some parody of an AA meeting where someone says, "Hi. My name is Bob and I'm an alcoholic." and the group enthusiastically welcomes him with "HI BOB!". He then goes on to tell his story. This is supposed to have healing effects because it lets everyone know that they're not alone.

I am all for accountability. I couldn't imagine trying to live without the accountability I get from my wife, the men and women in my ministry, and the men in my small group. And now, as opposed to my attitude in the past, I care about how I come across to those around me as I realize that I am a witness to the power of Christ. If I'm not authentic, why should anyone believe the gospel? But why should I be mired in a group where I keep identifying with my past? If I'm a new creation in Christ, I don't have to say that I'm anything else.

That all being said, I love to paraphrase a part of the speech from the beginning of the movie Patton:

And there's another thing. I never want to get a message telling me that we're holding our position. We're not holding anything. Let the Hun do that. We are advancing constantly, and I'm not interested in holding onto anything except...THE ENEMY! We're gonna hold on to him by the nose, and we're gonna kick him in the ass! We're gonna kick the hell out of him all the time, and we're gonna go through him like crap through a goose!

That's how I look at life. I'm not a "recovering" anything. Let the world do that. We are advancing constantly...

I love the image of holding Satan by the nose and kicking him in the [butt].

John 8:36 - So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

No comments: