Thursday, March 02, 2006

Disaster!

I'm in Philadelphia this week participating in my company's disaster recovery exercise. It fascinates me to see the blend of the political and the practical in these. Some systems absolutely must come up and so we got ready for that ahead of time just to be sure.

I have somewhat enjoyed the time I got to spend with my coworkers. I don't think I would choose to spend much time with very many of them, but when compelled to spend time it hasn't been bad. We enjoyed a feast at Maggiano's on the night before the exercise started. Also, that day I walked all over Philly with someone else and we saw the Liberty Bell as well as Independence Hall. It was strange that you practically get strip-searched to see the Liberty Bell. But I digress...

Last night as we walked back to our hotel we passed some homeless people sleeping on the grates over the subway. On the same street we saw some people in a limo giggling about something. I wondered how you could get into a limo in front of homeless people sleeping on grates.

But then it struck me as I walked by in my warm jacket with my laptop bag slung over my shoulder that I have it awfully good too. And, frankly, how much do I do to fulfill the command of James 1:27? How many orphans and widows do I help in their distress? Probably not as many as I could.

What it all comes down to is that I should probably complain less about my job. I am glad for the warm place to sleep each night. God is very gracious to us. I'd better not waste that gift.

No comments: