Friday, October 27, 2006

Another Nail Hit Squarely on the Head

Mark Driscoll posted this great blog post. Some of you may remember when I was all excited about my new Todd Agnew CD. This very much reminds me of the lines in the song "My Jesus":

'Cause my Jesus would never be accepted at my church,
The blood and dirt on His feet might stain the carpet.
And He reaches for the hurting and despises the proud,
And I think He'd prefer Beale St to the stained glass crowd,
And I know that He can hear me if I cry out loud,
Wanna be like my Jesus...


I know that there have been many songs written about churches and how to dress. My friend Cliff shared one with me about how a singer heard them singing sweetly at a church, so he thought he'd go in. But then he got looks because of his dress, despite the fact that he recognized some of the women there as being particularly rowdy at his show the night before.

I agree that we should have a certain reverence when it comes to God. The man who provided half my chromosomes is my Dad. The One who gives me life is My Father. I do believe I have a certain reverence toward Him and hold His Word in high esteem. But I'm not going to dress up just to meet some outward standard. I am the church, not the building where we meet. I take good care of my temple and, thanks to my wife, I even clothe it fairly presentably now. I'm going to stick to shorts or jeans for church, I think.

No comments: