Sunday, October 29, 2006

Surprise Meal

Despite yesterday's feast, I don't feel like yesterday was my greatest in terms of walking in step with the Lord. I didn't have any headlong falls into sin, but I did spend some time looking at stuff that I probably shouldn't. It served as a good wakeup call, as it always does.

This morning I had some work to do, so I knew that my feasting would be somewhat interrupted. Then my Bible reading took me to 1 Chronicles 1-2. This is not the most exciting passage of Scripture as it deals with the genealogy of David, starting with Adam. I got to thinking about these long stretches of genealogies. I tend to kind of glide through them because I know that all the names won't really hit home. Of course, each time through the Bible they do have a bit more punch as I start to remember more and more of them from reading their stories. But it doesn't have the same punch as some of the Psalms that give me a profound sense of God's grandeur.

Charles Spurgeon didn't really do it for me today, so I thought that I'd try out the Bob Hoekstra "Day by Day Grace". It discussed the men of faith in Hebrews 11 and how Jacob lived by faith, despite what he did to trick Isaac into blessing him. It was interesting to see how Jacob ended up switching the traditional blessing on Joseph's sons.

The point to all of this is that God is in charge and His hand guides everything. If we see the way He guided the genealogies of the men of the Bible, why would we ever think that He doesn't have His hand on our lives?

No comments: