Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Avoidance

Our trip up to Pennsylvania went really well. The funeral was a great celebration of a godly man's life. The cemetary was maybe a tenth of a mile from the church, but it involved walking up a hill. One of Amanda's cousins made the point that grandpa would have walked, so we braved the hike and the wind to do it. I'm glad that we did.

I'm having a hard time getting focused on my studies or my work today. Basically I find myself doing just about anything but that. I still have to do more review before my Greek midterm this evening. I have some code to work on and documentation to write. I also have a book to read for work. And here I am posting a blog entry.

I am amazed at our capacity to avoid what we need to do. I watched my wife's family avoid what needed to happen to keep her grandpa alive for some extra time. They detected his prostate cancer fairly early, but wouldn't deal with it. He may have lived a bit longer if they had, but who knows? The point is that it's easy for me to look down on them for avoiding that, but here I am writing a blog entry instead of studying or working.

In other words, I'm no better or worse, just a different kind of avoider.

No comments: