Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Strange Testing

I've gone through my first set of midterms as a MDiv student and came through very well. I got a 97 on my Greek exam and a 118 on my Systematic Theology exam. In case you're wondering, the 118 is out of a possible 100. I think there was a total of about 50 bonus points possible, so somehow I managed to get more than 100 on the exam. I'll probably kick myself for some of the things I missed too. I know I did with Greek because I missed two vocabulary words and I hate missing those. I confused the word for father with amen and I mistakenly translated "blessed" as "beautiful". Ah well. I can't get too upset about a 97.

The strange thing is that Theology exam. It doesn't quite feel like grad school if I can get more than 100 on an exam. Plus, he has the semester set up so that everyone can get 110 points. Basically, our exams are just extra credit next to the two papers and the exams. I'm not sure if I like this or not. But then again, maybe it just shows that I'm keeping up well.

My theology professor did a really cool thing on our first quiz and I've meant to write about it since then. We had a vocabulary test from our reading. I think there were 31 possible points and I got 29 or maybe 27. Before the test he declared one student to be Adam and another to be Moses. After the test we found out what Adam got. He got a 27. The professor then announced that he would give everyone a 27 because of Adam. He could tell that we were squirming about this, so he asked if anyone got a perfect score. One guy did, so that guy became Jesus. We all ended up with perfect scores based on that one guy's perfect score. It was a great object lesson in the gospel.

Today makes me feel like I can do this whole seminary thing. I'm definitely learning lots of stuff. The tests have been very gracious so far. Should they be tougher? I haven't decided yet. I'm glad for my 4.0 that I have after one class and I think I should be able to get an A in each of these if I keep doing what I'm doing.

No comments: