Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Eternal Peace

It's been an interesting week. Amanda's grandfather passed away on Monday night/Tuesday morning. We travel up for the funeral tomorrow and will return on Sunday. I'm not really looking forward to the drive, but it will be good to see the family. The nice thing is that we're confident that Earl is with Jesus now and there's nothing to be sad about that. We'll miss him. I think that the whole family will get a little teary on Christmas Eve when they think of his annual rendition of "O Holy Night" sung a cappella. It's a Christmas tradition at the East Smithfield Federated Church.

The fascinating thing this week has been the substory about Natalie and Eric. Eric was originally not going to come to the wedding because he is new with his company and has some training. I wrote him an encouragement to come and support his wife. I don't know if that made a difference, but he's going now. This is a good thing. I wish I had someone give me some pointers 8 years ago when I made such an awful hash of things.

I remember the first time we celebrated Amanda's birthday as a married couple. I really didn't make a very big deal of it and she was very hurt. We've found a middle ground with this now, but it was a tough lesson to learn. The thing I do know is that we need to ask for what we want. Neither one of us reads minds very well.

It should be interesting to see the whole family in "funeral mode". I suspect things are going to be a little crazy at casa de Pierce, but we'll survive. We're talking about taking a road trip to Ithaca on Saturday to kind of get away from it all for a day. I sure hope that we make it as doing nothing there makes for a long day.

I'm trying to look on the bright side of things. I'll have some time to study in the car. I should have some time at the house too. I shouldn't have to miss any classes as a result of this trip, though I may be a little late on Sunday. It will be good to see the family again. I actually feel myself drawing a little closer to Jack and Melaine. I feel more compassion than annoyance these days. This is a good thing too. It's got to be God doing this work.

No comments: