Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Biblical Counseling

I started doing some reading for the semester yesterday. I'm excited about my Foundations of Biblical Counseling class. We have to read one book by MacArthur and another for which he wrote the foreword.

There is a part of me that still questions the nouthetic model. I guess that is the pragmatist in me. I know that drugs will often produce results right away, and they are often OK. Of course, there are tragic exceptions as well. I wonder about diagnoses of schizophrenia as well as bipolar. How can we counsel someone when that person is not rational?

I am thoroughly convinced of the problems with psychology. I do believe it is a competing gospel. I think this is an area where my faith will have to stretch a little bit. I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jason,
Glad to hear that you are working through these issues.We have all had to at some stage. You raised the important question of dealing with a mind that is not rational (i.e. bipolar). While it is true that a mind out of control or under the control of drugs is more difficult to work with as a counselor can I remind you that the Spirit of God is not limited even by such difficulties as these. As a biblical counselor we need to remember that we are but Instruments in the Redeemers Hands (a title of Paul Tripps book)and that God is sovereign and the Spirit all powerful in His work of sanctification and the Word all sufficient (Heb 4:12). We need to just minister patiently and humbly and allow God to work out His purposes in the life of the counselee.
Keep encouraged and faithful.

Hope your studies go well this semester

Brian
A New Zealand biblical counselor

Jason said...

Brian -- thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I also appreciate the encouragement. I plan to write more about my journey with this class.

I will also blog about my PIP. It should be interesting.