Monday, January 28, 2008

Geek Picking

I've finally decided to indulge my longtime fascination with locks. I never quite understood how they worked, so a few months ago I did some research on How Stuff Works. It turns out that they are fairly simple. This got me to thinking -- what would it take to learn how to pick a lock?

I did some Googling on it and found some good pages with lots of information. One of them suggested that I buy a practice lock, take out all the pins but one, and then practice with that. I got one on Saturday, but waited until Sunday before trying it out. With much persistence from Lily I finally did it yesterday.

I am proud to report that I can pick a single pin using two paper clips. I put a second pin in and did some quick fiddling, but made no progress. As a lark I tried again this morning and was able to pick it. I need to mess with this some more before I add a third pin, but right now it is very encouraging. I was happily surprised when I was able to pick even the single pin.

I look forward to when my tools arrive and I can go beyond the single pin. Then I can start messing with the other locks in my house. Amanda was initially not particularly supportive of this, but I think she is starting to at least be more understanding.

I'll know that I'm getting serious about this when I go out and get a vise and a Dremel so I can make my own tools. We're not quite there yet though.

No comments: