Friday, July 10, 2009

Boasting

Jeremiah 9:23-24
(23) Thus says the LORD: "Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches,
(24) but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the LORD who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the LORD."


I look at my life and I wonder what I have to boast in. I could boast in my family. The kids are healthy and generally well-behaved. I could boast in my wife. She is a good wife and she turns some heads when we're out in public. I could boast in my job. It's nice to have a stable white-collar job in a good environment. I could boast in my learning. The guy next to me at the baseball games says that he told a coworker about how much mintuae I remember about games I've seen. I also could boast in my knowledge of the Bible. I've read it several times and know what it says better than most people.

The problem is that I have boasted about those things. Maybe not out loud because I know how to play the Christian game too well for that, but I have boasted about them internally. I have put my hope in things like these.

What I realize is just how much folly there is in my heart. I know how easily distracted I am by so much junk online (both visual and mental). I'm also distracted by otherwise good stuff when I should be doing other things. I'm distracted by my own desires more often than I'd like to admit.

Yet through it all I have the Lord. He needs to be my source of strength. He needs to be my comfort. He needs to be what I rely on to get me through the day. He needs to be the basis for all my decision. This passage also reminds me of:

Galatians 6:13-15
(13) For even those who are circumcised do not themselves keep the law, but they desire to have you circumcised that they may boast in your flesh.
(14) But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.
(15) For neither circumcision counts for anything, nor uncircumcision, but a new creation.


The outward stuff doesn't matter so much as the heart. I am so glad that I am not to be judged on what I do but on what Christ has done!

No comments: