Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Word

Jeremiah 23:29
(29) Is not my word like fire, declares the LORD, and like a hammer that breaks the rock in pieces?


We attend an unashamedly seeker-sensitive church. This means that we have a lot of nominal believers in it, if they are believers at all. While I realize that not everyone is at the same stage of Christian maturity, I also think that we make too many allowances for those who are not serious about following Christ. They still want to have life both ways.

I think this verse shows us the answer to the problem. How do we break through to those who have a hunger for Christ but don't know how to live it? We preach the Word. How do we all grow in sanctification? We spend time with the Word.

It's really not a lot of fun to go through a fire. Nor is it fun to be hammered into pieces. Yet I know that is what I need. The Word brings conviction into my life. This particular verse tells me that I need to bring Scripture to bear even more on my life than I do now. It's tough to spend time in the Bible because it transforms us. Yet that is how we are going to grow to be more like Christ.

No comments: