Thursday, July 16, 2009

TV Theology

We made it safely to my mom's house in Cleveland yesterday. The trip was good and we had a fine evening. Then at 8:00 it was time for my mom to put on the Hallmark channel. We were subjected to back-to-back episodes of Touched by an Angel.

I have written a few times about how I want to get some of that old zeal back. Watching this show helps. To hear an angel tell someone about God's love but never tell them about Jesus just drives me up a wall. Plus, the angel is offering the person wholeness through a cathartic experience rather than from casting her life at the foot of the cross.

As I think about it, I wonder if perhaps obviously secular shows like Friends or even something like Nip/Tuck do less damage to the cause of Christ than saccharine shows with wrong theology like Touched by an Angel. I applaud the idea of putting God on TV, but doing it in a way that leads people down the road of self-actualization rather than repentance and belief is terrible.

No comments: