Thursday, July 02, 2009

Security in Preaching

Jeremiah 1:17-19
(17) But you, dress yourself for work; arise, and say to them everything that I command you. Do not be dismayed by them, lest I dismay you before them.
(18) And I, behold, I make you this day a fortified city, an iron pillar, and bronze walls, against the whole land, against the kings of Judah, its officials, its priests, and the people of the land.
(19) They will fight against you, but they shall not prevail against you, for I am with you, declares the LORD, to deliver you."


Young Jeremiah had a very difficult task ahead of him. He had to preach judgment on a self-satisfied and self-righteous people. In this passage God gives Him reassurance that He would protect Jeremiah through it all.

What I note from this is that there is no promise of ease or comfort. In fact, in verse 19 He assures Jeremiah that there would be a fight. Yet He also promises that Jeremiah would prevail in the end. I think of fortified cities, iron pillars, and bronze walls. I think the point of this imagery is that they can take a licking and keep on ticking. They do nothing to prevent the attacks, but they can withstand them.

I am reminded of this verse:

Ephesians 6:13
(13) Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm.


If you are a Christian then you are called to preach at some level. If you never share the gospel then you have to wonder if you're really a Christian. They will know us by our love, right? Well, if people are on the road to eternal damnation then we had better be willing to tell them how to get off that road. The problem is that we will likely suffer to some degree if we are faithful in that calling.

This is not easy for me. I don't know where the line is between sharing the truth in love and turning people off to the gospel. All I know is that I am called to share it. I don't want to be a stumbling block for anyone, but I also don't want my inaction to be the reason someone never heard the gospel clearly articulated either.

No comments: