Sunday, March 09, 2008

Another Memory Verse

Job 42:1-6 ESV
(1) Then Job answered the LORD and said:
(2) "I know that you can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted.
(3) 'Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge?' Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand, things too wonderful for me, which I did not know.
(4) 'Hear, and I will speak; I will question you, and you make it known to me.'
(5) I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees you;
(6) therefore I despise myself, and repent in dust and ashes."


I have to memorize verse 2 for my counseling class. It really got me thinking. It seems to me that this verse is a serious problem for an Open Theist or for an Arminian. God does want to see everyone saved in one sense, but there must be some higher will in His being or else all would be saved. The point is that God will accomplish what He wants to accomplish. I certainly will keep praying for God to work in the lives of people who don't know Him, in our country, etc. However, I know that ultimately things will be the way He wants for them to be. I know how the story ends.

For a great article treating the tension between God's will for all to be saved and the fact that not all are saved, check this out.

No comments: