Friday, March 21, 2008

Good Friday

First of all, I want to apologize for not writing in a week. We were in Florida from last Friday-Tuesday and I am just now digging out of that. It was tough to have the long drive home on Tuesday and then class the past two nights. Amanda wasn't crazy about that, but she said that things went as well as they could.

I realize that I am turning into something of a spiritual wimp in an area that I am supposed to be leading. Specifically, I don't fast much anymore. I am carrying on the tradition that Amanda started in 2002 of fasting on every Good Friday. I went into today with a sense of dread. As I go through the day I feel cold, weak, and dizzy.

The funny thing is that I used to fast regularly when I was still doing the eating plan for The Lord's Table. Many of the people who serve under me also fast regularly. I have used the excuse of my exercise routine as the reason why I can't fast more regularly. Frankly, it kind of wipes me out so I don't do it much anymore.

Good Friday is different though. Today is the day when I want to really reflect on what Christ did on the cross. So maybe I am uncomfortable. Have all my friends left me? Nope. Have I been put through several unjust trials? Nope. Have I been beaten and scourged? Nope. Have I had a crown of thorns jammed on my head? Nope. Have I been nailed to a cross? Nope. Have I had to suffer from the loss of an intimiate relationship with God? Nope.

A little hunger is a good reminder, I think. I commend the practice to you.

No comments: