Monday, March 10, 2008

Learning with Humility

Here is today's Tozer. I sorely need to remember this as I sometimes let all my book-learning get in the way of sitting quietly and learning when I am taught:


Pastoral Ministry: Fencing With Masters

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but
according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they
will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears
away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.
--2 Timothy 4:3-4

Every one who has come to the years of responsibility seems to have
gone on the defensive. Even some of you who have known me for years
are surely on the defensive--you have your guard up all the time!

I know that you are not afraid of me, but you are afraid,
nevertheless, of what I am going to say. Probably every faithful
preacher today is fencing with masters as he faces his congregation.
The guard is always up. The quick parry is always ready.

It is very hard for me to accept the fact that it is now very rare
for anyone to come into the house of God with guard completely down,
head bowed and with the silent confession: "Dear Lord, I am ready
and willing to hear what You will speak to my heart today!"

We have become so learned and so worldly and so sophisticated and
so blase and so bored and so religiously tired that the clouds of
glory seem to have gone from us. Christ the Eternal Son, 108-109.

"Lord, quiet my own heart before You and give me that humble spirit
of listening. Whenever I come before You (including this morning!),
may it be with my 'guard completely down, head bowed.... ready and
willing to hear what You will speak to my heart today.' Amen."

No comments: