Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Doing Hard Things

My team at work has decided that it is going to try running a 5k this April. I told them about the running plan that Amanda used and they are intrigued. Now we'll see what happens.

I am a bit skeptical about this, but I hope that peer pressure will end up winning the day in the end. It's in the 40s today and drizzling. How many of my colleagues are going to run in this weather?

In other words, we have Gatorade commercials with athletes working very hard to achieve their goals. We have Under Armour commercials with athletes running the steps on the stadium. And so on. They really glorify the hard work that goes into performance. Yet it is clear that so few are willing to put in that kind of work.

That goes for me too. I don't always push myself enough when I run. I don't always dig as deeply into the Bible as I'd like. I don't always work as hard at loving my family as I should. I certainly don't dig as much as I could at work. And so on.

This whole experience brings a few things to mind for me:
  • I need to watch out for pride as I run
  • I need to push harder in areas where I know I need work
  • I need to keep seeking insight into other areas where I need to push harder
I used to work with someone who had the motto "lean into it." I think that is a good motto for life. Am I willing to do it?

No comments: