Friday, January 09, 2009

The Offer to All

Acts 11:17-18
(17) If then God gave the same gift to them as he gave to us when we believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I that I could stand in God's way?"
(18) When they heard these things they fell silent. And they glorified God, saying, "Then to the Gentiles also God has granted repentance that leads to life."


I think it's nearly impossible for us 21st century Gentiles to understand this passage fully. It was tough for the initial disciples to get their minds around the fact that Jesus was the promised Messiah. However, they were looking for Him. He wasn't quite what they expected, but at least they saw Him coming.

However, the idea of salvation coming to the Gentiles was completely foreign to them. How could God save the unclean Gentiles? Yet Peter's dream and this conversation with the brothers shows that was indeed God's plan.

God is calling everyone to Him. If you are in His family I hope that you are continually in awe of this fact. I know that I pray for a deeper sense of awe and gratitude about it. If you are not in His family, please know that there is always room at the table to adopt one more.

No comments: