Friday, January 23, 2009

Trusting in the Sabbath

Leviticus 25:20-22
(20) And if you say, 'What shall we eat in the seventh year, if we may not sow or gather in our crop?'
(21) I will command my blessing on you in the sixth year, so that it will produce a crop sufficient for three years.
(22) When you sow in the eighth year, you will be eating some of the old crop; you shall eat the old until the ninth year, when its crop arrives.


I'm not sure if I would have had enough faith to obey this. God commanded the people to give the land a rest once every seven years. This means that the crop harvested from the sixth year had to be enough to last them for three years. Then they could cultivate the land again.

Leviticus makes it clear that God takes Sabbath quite seriously. However, Jesus tells us that God gave us the Sabbath for our sake. I see it as a chance to exercise our faith. What better way to show our trust in God than to take a real Sabbath rest?

I know that Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath. I know that we are no longer bound by the fourth Commandment. I also know that a Sabbath rest is not an excuse for sloth. But I also know that I get so stressed and caught up in my schoolwork that I have trouble really trusting God that I can take a Sabbath rest. I feel like the book of Leviticus is ministering to me in this area. Whoda thunkit?

No comments: