Friday, January 16, 2009

Fear the Creator

Psalms 33:6-8
(6) By the word of the LORD the heavens were made, and by the breath of his mouth all their host.
(7) He gathers the waters of the sea as a heap; he puts the deeps in storehouses.
(8) Let all the earth fear the LORD; let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him!


The one thing that got me from atheism to agnosticism is to ask why there is something instead of nothing. Any effect must have a cause. That cause must be somehow outside of the effect. It is just logically true. I suppose that if you wanted to take a pantheistic or panenetheistic view of things you could say that the universe is God and is self-existent. However, that doesn't seem to square with reason in my book. Plus, from what I understand, infinity past is a logical impossibility.

I know that men much smarter than me disagree, but it makes more sense to me to see the universe as created by something external to it than Carl Sagan's view that the universe always was and always will be. Sagan was describing some of the attributes of God when he made that statement each week. But, to him, the universe was God.

I think verse 8 is where we find the tipping point. Either we get off the throne of our own lives and acknowledge that there is a Creator who we can't quite understand, or we become the arbiters of what is true about the universe. Frankly, I don't feel equipped to make those kinds of decisions. I can't prove that God exists, but neither can anyone prove that He doesn't. I just happen to think that belief in God requires less faith than the alternative.

No comments: