Thursday, May 28, 2009

Crazy Unity

Isaiah 19:24-25
(24) In that day Israel will be the third with Egypt and Assyria, a blessing in the midst of the earth,
(25) whom the LORD of hosts has blessed, saying, "Blessed be Egypt my people, and Assyria the work of my hands, and Israel my inheritance."


It's amazing to consider the unity that this passage predicts. These are countries that didn't get along very well. And yet here is the promise that they would all worship together.

I am reminded of a passage that I have recently memorized in my walk through Galatians:

Galatians 3:27-28
(27) For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
(28) There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.


Christ unites all of us together in Him. All of our distinctions evaporate as we enjoy our unity in Him. The problem I have with this is that I don't always live like I really believe it. I realize that I'm not always pursuing the unity that we are to have with each other in Christ.

I still maintain that doctrine is important. Truth will unite us and divide us to some extent. However, ultimately there must be unity in the body of Christ.

No comments: