Tuesday, May 26, 2009

More on Less Babylon

Isaiah 14:22
(22) "I will rise up against them," declares the LORD of hosts, "and will cut off from Babylon name and remnant, descendants and posterity," declares the LORD.


I noticed something as I read the notes for this and a similar prediction about Moab in chapter 15. There will be no remnant left. God planned to utterly wipe them out. And, as I noted yesterday, He did.

I contrast this with the promises to Israel. God always promises that a faithful remnant would survive, though a tiny one at times. I'm still not quite sure how that relates to the church, but the point is that the seed of Abraham would always be represented.

It seems amazing to me that so many people get bent out of shape about election in the New Testament when the same principles were clearly at work in the Old Testament. God chose a people. Even when they broke the covenant He remained faithful. We know that God doesn't change, so it must be that the same principles are at work today.

I know that I rejoice in being a wild plant grafted onto the olive tree!

No comments: