Saturday, May 16, 2009

Refinement

Isaiah 1:24-26
(24) Therefore the Lord declares, the LORD of hosts, the Mighty One of Israel: "Ah, I will get relief from my enemies and avenge myself on my foes.
(25) I will turn my hand against you and will smelt away your dross as with lye and remove all your alloy.
(26) And I will restore your judges as at the first, and your counselors as at the beginning. Afterward you shall be called the city of righteousness, the faithful city."


This passage ultimately has hope for Israel, but not without a little pain first. I can't speak for you, but the thought of the Lord turning His hand against me is not a happy prospect. This is the same God who spoke all of creation into being. He is the one who overcame death. He is the transcendent God of the universe.

Yet isn't this something we must welcome? Today is Saturday which means Peter review day. I review 1 and 2 Peter while I stretch for my run. 1 Peter dovetails nicely with this passage. Chapter 1 speaks specifically about how our faith needs to have a tested genuineness that is compared to the process of refining gold in the fire.

I wish Osteen would preach on passages like this. There is pain associated with following Christ and it is not always some form of martyrdom. It is God refining us through His fire to make us more like Jesus. While it's not a lot of fun to endure it is something we should embrace if we truly want to be more like Jesus.

No comments: