Tuesday, May 12, 2009

How to be Saved

Zephaniah 1:18-2:3
(18) Neither their silver nor their gold shall be able to deliver them on the day of the wrath of the LORD. In the fire of his jealousy, all the earth shall be consumed; for a full and sudden end he will make of all the inhabitants of the earth.
(1) Gather together, yes, gather, O shameless nation,
(2) before the decree takes effect --before the day passes away like chaff-- before there comes upon you the burning anger of the LORD, before there comes upon you the day of the anger of the LORD.
(3) Seek the LORD, all you humble of the land, who do his just commands; seek righteousness; seek humility; perhaps you may be hidden on the day of the anger of the LORD.


Reading the Twelve can be a pretty heavy business. It is not a happy story. Israel was wallowing in sin and the prophets had to tell of the coming judgment. However, through it all there is some hope intermingled with the decrees of woe.

When I read this passage I think of how we tend to live our lives here in America. We have certainly made an idol of money. We plan on money to save us. We may not think it will save us spiritually, but we do count on it to save us materially. At least I tend to. It is easy for me to get concerned about my 401(k) and the rollover IRA I have. They aren't doing so well these days, as I'm sure you can imagine.

Yet ultimately it will not matter. Ultimately the Lord is going to come in judgment. Am I ready for that? I hope to be more prepared for that than I am for any kind of financial hardship. Which is more important?

Of course, we need to be good stewards. I don't think God wants for us to be irresponsible. Yet we must remember that money is simply a tool for living and it is not life. Nor does it secure life. Only God can do that.

No comments: