Friday, May 08, 2009

His Great Mercy

Joel 2:18-19
(18) Then the LORD became jealous for his land and had pity on his people.
(19) The LORD answered and said to his people, "Behold, I am sending to you grain, wine, and oil, and you will be satisfied; and I will no more make you a reproach among the nations.


The book of Joel is pretty harsh. It describes the army of swarming locusts that the Lord plans to send upon the people in the day of the Lord. Perhaps the most vivid description of the desolation is that the land ahead of them would be like the garden of Eden, but behind them would be utter desolation. The plan is for total destruction.

The Lord still has mercy despite the justice due to the people. All they need to do is repent. I realize that this seems like a Catch-22 since repentance is a gift from the Lord. Yet the Lord grants it to whom He wills. he does this because of the jealousy He has for His land and for His people.

It's easy for me sometimes to focus too much on God's wrath and justice because I think that helps to support my theology. I guess I focus on those because I sense a need to balance the common idea that God is so loving that He gives folks a free pass without any justice. Yet I know that I need to focus on His mercy as well. I certainly wouldn't be writing this apart from His mercy!

No comments: