Monday, May 04, 2009

Receiving Favor

Daniel 1:8-10
(8) But Daniel resolved that he would not defile himself with the king's food, or with the wine that he drank. Therefore he asked the chief of the eunuchs to allow him not to defile himself.
(9) And God gave Daniel favor and compassion in the sight of the chief of the eunuchs,
(10) and the chief of the eunuchs said to Daniel, "I fear my lord the king, who assigned your food and your drink; for why should he see that you were in worse condition than the youths who are of your own age? So you would endanger my head with the king."


I have heard this passage used in regards to how we approach our work. The idea is that we can take a chance in telling management that we are not going to work like everyone else does in terms of sacrificing family on the altar of success. God will then bless our boldness.

I don't think that is what this text is saying, but perhaps that is an application for us today. I do think it shows us that God does indeed work in men's hearts. Where was the free will of the chief of the eunuchs?

No comments: