Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Escaping Reality

I am often amazed at my abilities to ignore the truth. Obviously we all must have some capacity for escaping reality since it would often be too overwhelming to take in the truth about ourselves. Christians seem particularly good at this.

For example, there are many churches who will go to great lengths to preach about the evils of Harry Potter. Yet some of these churches also gave out tickets so people could see The Chronicles of Narnia. I'm all for exposing people to Narnia since it is a very clear exposition of the gospel, but I don't see what the difference is in the magic of Narnia compared to the magic of Harry Potter.

Similarly, I think of how many churches would have no problem in speaking out on the evils of drunkenness. And if they had an openly homosexual couple in their congregations there would be outrage. Yet no one is outraged about gossip. Or how about gluttony? Laziness? What about pride?

Again, it's so easy to think of what I'm not. But what I am is a sinner who desperately needs grace. That's something for which I thank God every day. My fickle flesh wanders so easily that I know I need to remind myself of the pentrating truth of the gospel daily.

No comments: