Thursday, April 06, 2006

Sympathetic Tension

I think one of the biggest determinations of workplace satisfaction is the people with whom you work. Fortunately, I like my team within my team. But I still hear all the stuff happening around me. Today there was a crisis with some application and I had to listen to someone who I don't think has ever taken a deep breath in his life. He even laughs from his chest. Listening to him makes my chest tighten up.

I need to remember that what we do is very important to most of the people around me. I like to see problems get solved. I like to close tickets. I like closure as much as the next guy. But I also don't see this as brain surgery.

The worst thing is that it took all the fun out of lunch. I looked forward to my normal quiet lunch at my desk so I could do my Bible study. Instead I had lunch on the patio and then went out to Cook Out for a milkshake. You've got to make the best out of a bad situation, I say.

The bigger question is to ask why this bothers me so much. Why do I care if someone else is miserable? Why does it make me get tight to listen to someone who, when told to relax, says with a shout, "I AM RELAXED! WHY DOES EVERYONE KEEP TELLING ME TO RELAX?"

Makes me wonder where my blind spots are too...

Psalm 139:23-24

23Search me, O God, and know my heart!
Try me and know my thoughts!
24And see if there be any grievous way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting!

No comments: