Friday, April 21, 2006

A Holy Hunger

For better or worse, I read articles like this when I'm supposed to be working. I have this constant, nagging sense like I should spend more time with my Bible. I don't think this is out of a sense of legalism or trying to curry favor with God. It's that I know I'm cheating myself when I don't spend time with it. It's similar to the feeling I have as I work from home and know that my guitar is waiting for me behind my right shoulder.

What strikes me about that article is how we are to let Scripture interpret itself. Generally speaking, a difficult passage will often have a clearer one that helps to explain it. Of course, we need to trust the people who wrote the cross-references!

I also have learned that there is so much meaning to the names of the Old Testament. For example, when Ruth and Naomi decided to return to Bethlehem it just made sense since Bethlehem means "city of bread". And then to think that Bread of Life came from there. I don't think it's a coincidence!

So on one hand I have this nagging sense of wanting to get more out of my Bible. On the other I'm glad that it's not a desperate feeling to make my car nicer or obtain some other material thing. One thing I'm sure of is that my flesh will keep me from doing this if it can. Got to stay on that narrow path.

No comments: