Friday, April 28, 2006

Running on Empty

It's strange to go without food for so long and yet feel so good physically. I'm on day 6 of this 20 day adventure and yet I feel physically great. I slept less than 7 hours last night, but don't feel sleepy. I have a sort of giddiness that comes from keeping up a perpetual sugar high.

So why do I want to eat? Why was it so hard to smell the grilled egg sandwiches and hash browns that some of my coworkers enjoyed? Part of it is just how I think we're wired. As much as I like sweets, I am getting tired of smoothies and juice all the time and something savory sounds really tempting. I would love to tear into a McDonald's sausage biscuit with egg, for example.

More and more I'm being convicted of my love of food. I don't think there's anything wrong with enjoying food. We should enjoy it just like how we should enjoy looking at sunsets, smelling roses, or listening to good music. But this fast shows me how I don't need food as much as I want it. My weightlifting went well this morning. Jogging yesterday went well. There is a hunger inside, but I think it's a spiritual one more than a physical one. What a ride!

No comments: