Thursday, April 27, 2006

Fasting Fast

Amanda and I are on day 5 of a 20 day juice fast. Technically, it's only a 16 day juice fast as the first two and last two days are transition days where you eat fruit and salads. I did this last spring and am doing it this time to support Amanda. But it's harder this time because I know what I'm getting into.

I keep getting into a day counting mentality. For example, today we're at the 25% mark. That's kind of discouraging because I'd still love to tear into a big double bacon cheeseburger with mushrooms and cheddar. The good news is that my body and mind feel great. I have a wonderful clarity, though perhaps a bit of goofiness. Sort of like when you're overtired but being kept awake on Coke.

Fasting is supposed to be a wonderful spiritual exercise. I'm not going to make it through this time unless it becomes one. I'm still so focused on my belly that I'm not focusing on Christ, which is the problem. I need to get outside of myself, but I don't spend the time in the Word or in prayer to do so.

I find it particularly ironic how I mentor so many men in this course and give them advice that I'm not taking. Perhaps the one thing I need to eat now is my own dog food.

No comments: