Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Coming Out

I have an issue that keeps coming up time and time again in my work with SCF, so I think I should come out of the closet. It's probably obvious, but I'm a five-point Calvinist.

Now when someone declares that immediately he gets branded as unloving and cruel, and even possibly arrogant. How can I think that God only wants to save some especially in light of verses like John 3:16?

John Piper did a great job addressing this (as one might expect of him). Basically, this doesn't have to seem contradictory when you view it in light of the fact that some part of God's will must be supreme. Is it His will or man's?

So what does it mean to be a Calvinist? It means TULIP. That stands for:

T - Total Depravity. Man is completely lost apart from Christ.
U - Unconditional Election. Man cannot come to Christ apart from faith. That faith is a gift from God that He gives freely and unconditionally. In other words, there's nothing we can do.
L - Limited Atonement. Not everyone will be saved.
I - Irresistible Grace. If God elected you there is no getting out it -- He's going to win His own.
P - Perseverance of the Saint. Those God elects He sees through for the rest of their lives.

Most people get hung up on the "L", which is what the article above covered.

This has been a huge sticking point lately as we interview new mentor candidates for SCF. As a ministry we embrace this doctrine. However, we do not make it a requirement for joining us. We do ask that people be willing to examine this in the light of Scripture.

I embrace this doctrine for a few reasons. One is that the Bible seems to clearly teach this. That of course is the best reason to believe something. Another is that it puts God in charge and not man. I have a hard time picturing a God that bows to the will of man to govern how things will happen. Finally, my own experience bears this out. I see two men get exposed to the same teaching. One finds real repentance and lasting freedom, but the other returns to his life of sin. The same happens when two men hear a great presentation of the gospel. One believes and the other rejects it.

I do not embrace what is sometimes known as hyper-Calvinism. I believe in evangelism. I believe that God uses means to accomplish His will, as the article on the two wills shows. I am honored that He uses me for anything.

Tomorrow I'm going to write about how this helps me get through trials. I think this is enough for today. I just had to get this off my chest though.

No comments: