Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Fire Escape

I wrote previously about how we have the mantrap gates outside of our office. Today is an absolutely gorgeous day and we had a fire drill at about 10:45 this morning. It is a great day for one and we happily marched out of the building. Our fire marshalls ushered us through these gates that did open when the fire alarm went off. We all stayed outside and chatted for a few minutes and then we heard the whistle for "all clear".

Many then began going back through the gates. As I approached the gate I heard the beeping that indicated imminent closing. Our new intern got hit in the shoulder as the gate began to shut. I would estimate that 75 or so people got stuck in the mantrap while many of us then went around.

It's just sort of comedic when things like this happen. I realize that no system is perfect and I'm glad that the gates did open as they were supposed to. But it was still kind of funny to see so many people get trapped in that area. It's big enough for a whole semi to fit in there, so it's not like they were stuck in an elevator, so I don't feel guilty about laughing about it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The funny thing is that we joked on the way out that they would close once we got inside and they would either electrify the gates or send out the jack booted thugs with cattle prods.

Jeff J.