Friday, May 12, 2006

FINISHED!

I just did the lesson for day 20 of The Lord's Table Phase II. The course has the title "Feasting and Fasting" and it most certainly was that. I wish every believe who is medically able would try this period of extended fasting. The trials are severe, but so are the rewards. I now have a much deeper hunger for the Word of God than I have in a long time. It's amazing how the things of this world can dull our senses for enjoying the Creator of all these gifts. Don't get me wrong -- I fully intend to enjoy food with thanksgiving and have done so yesterday and today.

What's interesting about this is that I'm not sure I would have written such a glowing testimony on Monday or Tuesday. Trials seem so awful when we find ourselves in the thick of them. However, in retrospect it was exactly what I needed to do.

This reminds me of getting my degree. I remember some pretty brutal quarters where it seemed like all I did was homework, go to class, and sleep. On a smaller scale I think of some runs I've had. I think of the hill on the way home that nearly broke my spirit so many times. And yet God sustains me through it. In the end it's worth the almost hyperventilating at the end.

This must seem insane to many of you reading this. There's nothing like a good trial to increase faith and deepen appreciation for all that life is about. Almost as if God knew what He was doing when he led Peter to write:

1Pe 1:6-7 ESV
(6) In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials,
(7) so that the tested genuineness of your faith--more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire--may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.

No comments: