Monday, May 08, 2006

Forgetting Hunger

I had a really wild thing happen to me today. I went for my morning run, but because I didn't get moving in time I only did 2.4 miles instead of my usual 3.3. I've done either during this fast with no problem, though I probably did drink a bit more each morning. Today I spent most of the morning on my feet working on various problems. I had a couple of small glasses of apple juice, but not more than usual.

Then at lunch I had my normal 10 ounce Tropicana juice blend. I still felt really awful. I set my alarm to take a 20 minute nap, but I think I napped right through it for a 40 minute nap. I still felt really terrible. Today is day 16 and I don't recall ever feeling that awful at any time during this fast. I drank another 8 ounces or so of V8, my other 10 ounce juice blend, and then started to feel good again.

What's wild is that I heard about this happening to someone else but never expeienced it. My hunger mechanism really did shut down. I was busy this morning and started to feel a little funny, but now I realize that I desperately needed some sugar.

I used to wonder how Ghandi could do those prolonged fasts. Now I see. I'm not saying this is a good thing, but it's a wild ride. I also realize that my body is probably about as lean as I want for it to be. On my scale I weighed in at about 157.5. On a normal scale that would probably be about 165 or so. Running causes almost no strain on my joints, which feels wonderful. And I can't remember ever feeling quite this hungry for God.

I'm still ready to tear into some meat though.

No comments: