Friday, June 09, 2006

Beach Nuts

I write this sitting on our bed near the end of a week in the Outer Banks with my wife's family. I've managed to avoid any serious sunburns, which is nice. I also managed to make it to the beach daily. Some days I took my morning walk on the beach. Other days I went with Lily, who is overcoming the fear of the surf she developed on Sunday when she plopped down on her bottom. My feeling is that a vacation should be spent doing things that are particular to the area.

However, my wife's family doesn't see things this way. My mother-in-law has only been twice now. Mind you, we are about 3 minutes away on foot, so going isn't exactly difficult. She prefers to nap a lot. Others spend most of their time reading. At least Amanda used the pool quite a lot. I just don't get the attitude.

Now I appreciate a good nap as much as the next person. But I just want to make sure that I take advantage of the amenities. It seems like we could have saved a lot of money by just taking time off work and having all this at our house.

Some of us did ride jet skis this morning. That was actually quite fun. Amanda went parasailing yesterday as part of her birthday present. I enjoyed riding the boat with her. Anyhow, I don't think we need to stay continually busy, but I do want to make sure we take advantage of what's here.

No comments: