Wednesday, June 21, 2006

A Time to Plan

My company very generously paid for us to have an intense version of the Franklin Covey "FOCUS" workshop. Basically, this was a review for me because I listened to the tapes for the Franklin Quest about 9 years ago. But I also know that I wasn't living it and that I needed some tips for how to make this work for me with my PDA.

There is something wonderfully exciting about the prospect of actually having a handle on the things that you want to accomplish each day. It's also wonderful to have hope to get them done. I often have a nagging sense of things that I should be doing. It's nice to get back to a framework that will let me rest confidently knowing that I got the important things done.

So now the question is what do I consider important. The last time I tried to do this I had no spiritual foundation. Now I have a much clearer picture of what I want to accomplish in my life. I want to honor God with it. I want to be a godly husband and father. I want to be a good leader with my small group and with SCF. I want to be a good student if I get into seminary (wonder how that's going). And, I do want to be a good employee as well. I want to get done what I need to get done.

I'm excited to have this new framework. It's interesting that I was just in Ecclesiastes 3, which is the famous chapter sung by the Byrds. There really is a time for everything. I want to make the most of each day and make sure I'm doing whatever is in season for me.

No comments: