Thursday, May 31, 2007

Buried Treasure

I've found that only reading my Greek New Testament every day isn't getting it done for my daily drink of the Living Water. I do more or less understand what I'm reading, but it's very slow going. I'm more concerned with translation than feasting. I decided to take a leisurely stroll through Proverbs. I find that when I read Proverbs as part of a reading plan I go way too fast. There are so many great nuggets in there that deserve some meditation time. For example,

Proverbs 2:1-5 ESV
(1) My son, if you receive my words and treasure up my commandments with you,
(2) making your ear attentive to wisdom and inclining your heart to understanding;
(3) yes, if you call out for insight and raise your voice for understanding,
(4) if you seek it like silver and search for it as for hidden treasures,
(5) then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God.


Lately I've prayed that I would have more conviction as I read Scripture. Well, I certainly get it from this verse. I've read through the Bible several times. I know more or less what is in there. If someone mentions a story I rarely feel like it's something I've never heard. I've taken two semesters of Systematic Theology. I've done small group studies in several books.

However, I don't think I've spent much time going through the Bible seeking wisdom like seeking for hidden treasures. Just using the center-column reference in my study Bible would be a good start for this. I realize just how lazy I am despite all the time I spend in Scripture.

The problem now is deciding what to do about it. Conviction is only the first step...

No comments: