Friday, May 11, 2007

What's the Point?

I've meant to write about a conversation I had with Bob a couple of weeks ago. Bob is a devout Lutheran and a good guy. He works hard and doesn't slack off nearly as much as some of us. His life is a settled routine and he likes it that way. He does the same lifting workout every time he lifts. He doesn't vary the weight or the reps, but he's OK with that. He's built like a little fireplug and I wouldn't want to tangle with him.

I stopped into his cube one day after my lunchtime nap for a quick chat. I'm not sure how we got on the topic, but he told me about a conflict he had in a bible study one time about salvation. Someone in his study got quite upset when Bob proposed his idea that good, devout people from any religion are saved. I tried to handle this graciously and point out the logical conclusion to this line of thinking.

I said, "Bob, if you want to believe that, that's up to you. You do realize that is not at all supported by the Bible, right?"

He was OK with that.

Then I said, "You realize that, if what you believe is true, then the 911 hijackers must be in heaven."

He seemed a bit confused, so I expounded on that point. I explained that they were extremely devout in their faith and did what they believed to be right. He saw my point, but I'm not sure if it changed his thinking at all. I need to follow-up with him.

This also makes me think of the death and resurrection of Jesus. If we believe in the resurrection (which is hard to deny) then we have to see that as a strong argument for the exclusivity of Christianity. To believe otherwise would be to make God the worst child-abuser in history. Why bother sending Christ to die if it wasn't necessary for salvation?

I don't think we can put Jesus in a test tube and prove His existence or validity, but we can sure present a lot of evidence to get someone thinking. In the end I need to trust that the Holy Spirit has the job of conversion. That helps me to sleep better at night.

No comments: