Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Missiology

I've nearly finished my textbook on Missiology and here is what I'm learning:

  • Missions is every Christian's business
  • We should take church-planting very seriously
  • We need to be flexible to culture, though not compromising of the gospel
  • I'm not doing nearly enough
As I read this book I keep thinking of the bravery of our friends Mark and Laura who moved their family to Hungary. I think of our friend Shanelle who moved from Southern California to New Zealand.

What am I doing? I'm studying Greek and listening to baseball. I'm trying to get through work from home days without looking at anything I shouldn't online. I'm trying to get through each day at work so that I can go home and get back to the same routine. I realize that much foundational work needs to happen before missions, but I just wonder if I'm on the right track?

I also know that I tend to get focused on what I'm studying. When I took my 1 Corinthians class I was excited about becoming a seminary professor. As I read this book I feel like we should be raising money to move to South America. I guess I need to just settle down and see what God has in store for me.

No comments: