Friday, February 08, 2008

Being Missional

We have some good friends who are serving as missionaries in Hungary. I highly recommend checking out their ministry. They are doing a great thing there as they are slowly chipping away at all the spiritual walls that are built up around most Hungarians.

I exchanged emails with Mark today and he paid me a nice compliment about the discipline that it takes to keep up with school and everything else I have going on. I suppose that it does take some discipline, but it got me to thinking about how I do it.

I spend a lot of my day trying to "redeem the time." I listen to podcasts of sermons while I drive and while I work out. I work in a large building and go through my Greek vocab flash cards any time I have to walk from one side to the other. I do a lot of reading and writing during my lunch hour. I also do my Scripture memory review for my Biblical Counseling class during my lunch hour. This opens up my evenings a little bit, which has been nice. I've been working on a game I've had for a long time but never got around to.

What is the cost? I am pretty sure that most of my team does not love Jesus. While I don't claim to know their hearts, the external fruit does not indicate a sincere love for the Lord with most of them. Do I spend time breaking bread with them, getting to know them, and looking for ways to talk about the gospel? No, I spend time with my nose in a book.

I was thinking about this and my motivation for going to seminary. The obvious goal is to learn how to rightly handle the Word of God. Why is that important? Ultimately it is so that more people come to know and love Jesus, right? Here I am waiting for full-time ministry when I have a mission field all around me.

I'm not going to stop doing homework at lunchtime. However, maybe I need to find ways to spend a bit more time with my team.

No comments: