Sunday, February 10, 2008

Duke Chapel

Lily and I went to the Duke Divinity School library yesterday as I was doing some research for my text-criticism of the passage I'm exegeting for Greek. Lily's behavior was outstanding, which was great considering how welcome a four year-old is with most college-age kids. Of course, the ace-in-the-hole was that they are ostensibly Christian and that should help with their attitudes, right?

We had a few minutes when I was done, so I decided to poke my head into the chapel there. The chapel at Duke is arguably the most famous landmark in the Triangle area. Amanda and I have taken many guests there, but we had never gone in because we always had Lily with us as a screaming infant or toddler. This was the perfect chance to check it out.

I'm here to tell you that it is quite stunning. Like everything else on campus, it is done in a beautiful Gothic style. The stained glass windows are stunning. The pulpit is beautiful. The pipe organ is beautiful. You see a theme?

Out of curiosity, I checked out what they use as a pew Bible. As you might have guessed, they use the NRSV. Then on the way out I saw what they offer by way of worship services. It turns out that Sunday morning features an ecumenical service. You see, there are a variety of religious groups on campus, so it appears that they need to be careful. Strange for what is supposed to be a Methodist university, though sadly maybe it isn't that strange.

My feeling as I left was that it is an absolutely stunning structure and it is a shame that the gospel doesn't get preached in it, at least not from what I could tell.

No comments: