Thursday, February 07, 2008

Giving Life

I have a coworker who is a very serious Christian and is also very much into working out. He is probably in his late 40s or early 50s and is in fantastic shape. I remember seeing him at one of our office blood drives and he was chatting with one of the volunteers from the Bank. He said that he used to give blood regularly, but he doesn't want to disrupt his workouts now. I thought that was kind of selfish at the time and I still do.

I had a very bad experience giving blood when I worked at Lakewood Hospital. I wasn't hydrated, I was tired, and I just wasn't prepared. I ended up passing out, which is about the worst I think I've ever felt. It took 9/11 for me to donate again. Now I do it fairly regularly, but not as often as the American Red Cross would like.

Why don't I do it more often? It's inconvenient and it messes up my running and lifting schedule. So I'm giving a pint today. After I do it I figure that I will do it more often, but I never do. This is something I need to spend some time thinking about.

No comments: